This resource highlights the significance of place names and the part they play in everyday life. Starring Ernie Dingo, it tells the story of how places get their names.
- This brings together a large number of existing sources of information on the measurement of tides and tidal currents. It is intended to enable the reader to quickly find the most relevant and up-to-date information.
- A simple explanation of land ownership, ownership boundaries and what a land surveyor does.
This resource offers a comprehensive overview to maps and the mapping process - with particular reference to Australia and New Zealand.
- The Gazetteer of Australia is a database of Australia’s land place names.
- This glossary is a list of terms commonly used in Australia as part of a place name. The list provides helpful definitions and allocates appropriate designator codes for recording in registers and gazetteers.
- This offers a brief description of the processes for naming places.
- Useful Links to Other Sites
- The Gazetteer of Australia is a database of Australia’s marine place names.
The compendium lists and defines tidal terms used across Australia and New Zealand and gives the definitions for those terms. In many areas similar or identical terms are used to describe different things and/or different terms are used to describe the same thing.